Blueprints enable the player to build specific ships, weapons or fighters items and are highly valuable, especially if the player wants that particular item. Blueprints are a new feature added in version 0.9.
Blueprints can be found by salvaging some derelict stations (in particular research stations), various caches, once-off salvaging from ruins, tech-mining industry for colonies on planets with ruins, or by raids on colonies with Heavy Industry/Orbital Works.
Common ships, weapons and fighters can be found bundled in the moderately common blueprint packages. Other, rarer items will each have their own blueprints.
There is no use for duplicate blueprints except to be sold for credits, save for a black market function, as discussed further below.
The requirements to produce something from a learnt blueprint is having a Colony with Heavy Industry. In Doctrine and Blueprints tab, you can view all of your blueprints. You can prioritize which ship hulls, weapons and fighters your colonies' fleets use by clicking the Prioritize? column. It is safe to prioritize the civilian freighter and tanker you prefer because they will not take the place of combat ships.
To custom order items, use the Command screen (D key) and the Custom Production tab.
Tips & Tricks
- There may also be a few other planets with ruins that are in unclaimed systems that can potentially provide both once-off salvage as well as a Colony site with a tech-mining industry without the threat of being glassed. You can check if the planet is in an unclaimed system in the Intel screen (E key) by using the 'Planets' tab and the 'Unclaimed' option.
- Space junk in orbit of planets indicates the presence of ruins, with the bigger amount of junk indicating better ruins.
- Blueprints sold on black markets can be learnt & incorporated by Pirates after some time (60-120 in-game days). This only occurs on the black market and not other submarkets.
- Heavy Industry has a high maintenance cost so aim for a low hazard rating world. If you cannot find any, then consider checking Penelope's Star.
Unclaimed Ruins in Core World Planets
- Exploring ruins on core world (surveyed), non-settled planets is a quick and easy source of blueprints, weapons, AI cores, and hence credits. You need to keep track of which planets (or systems) you have explored as you can only explore planets once, even if there are still ruins there. But be careful if hostile factions have forces in the system.
- Independent colonies will happily buy anything you find.
- In version 0.9.1, the planets with unexplored ruins vary from game to game.
- Added to the game
- Special items such as blueprints will not be lost if cargo ships are lost while retreating